Vegetative Compatibility, Pathogenicity and Virulence Diversity of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp melongenae Recovered from Eggplant


Altinok H. H. , Can C., Çolak H.

JOURNAL OF PHYTOPATHOLOGY, cilt.161, ss.651-660, 2013 (SCI İndekslerine Giren Dergi) identifier identifier

  • Cilt numarası: 161 Konu: 9
  • Basım Tarihi: 2013
  • Doi Numarası: 10.1111/jph.12123
  • Dergi Adı: JOURNAL OF PHYTOPATHOLOGY
  • Sayfa Sayıları: ss.651-660

Özet

Fusarium oxysporum (Schlechtend.: Fr.) f. sp. melongenae (Fomg) recovered from symptomatic eggplants from five eggplant-growing areas in Turkey, including the south, west, north-west, north and south-east regions. The objective of this study was to investigate the genetic diversity of the Fomg isolates from different geographical location by pathogenicity and VCG tests. Three hundred and seventy-four Fomg isolates were classified as highly virulent, virulent, moderately virulent and low virulent through pathogenicity assays. No correlation was observed between virulence of Fomg isolates and their locations. The nitrate non-utilizing mutants (nit) were generated as nit1, nit3 and NitM, based on phenotyping of Fomg growth characteristics of the Fomg isolates on diagnostic media with various sources of nitrogen. The majority of nit mutants (39.4%) recovered were nit1 from minimal medium (MM) containing of 2.0% potassium chlorate (MMC). The most of Fomg isolates were identified as heterokaryon self-compatible (HSC) based on their ability to form a stable heterokaryon, while four isolates were classified as heterokaryon self-incompatible (HSI). A large amount of Fomg isolates were vegetatively compatible and assigned as members of the same VCG, whereas nit mutants of 10 Fomg isolates that did not complement with tester strains only paired by themselves (HSC), these isolates were termed vegetative incompatible (vic). The complementation of 33 isolates with tester strains was slow and quite weak, but not paired with themselves even though they are HSC. About 96.3% of the Fomg isolates were assigned to VCG 0320, while the remaining 3.7% were classified as vegetative incompatible group.